The Jenni Forums

The Discussion Forum for the Jenni webcomic
It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:40 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome to the January Animation Month thread! This is the JAM, where participants try to make 31 animations in one month. JAM was created because I wanted to create a monthly challenge like NaNoWriMo and FAWM for my biggest love: animation. So, the JAM was born! The first JAM was held in 2011, and it's been held every January since!

For the JAM, the only challenge is to make thirty one animations in January. The animations can be made one a day, or you can make several on several days, or even all at once (although I doubt anyone will do them all in one day, you’re more than welcome to try . The animations can be about anything. They can be animated gif, flash, traditionally animated, stop-motion, CGI, or whatever you wish. They can be 1 second long or they can be 20 minutes long. It’s up to you. Just remember you have to make 31 animations in the 31 days of January, so use your own judgement so you don’t burn yourself out.

You can update any animation as much as you like throughout the month or beyond. After all, this is all just for fun.

I don’t have the space or the bandwidth to host animations here, but you can use video hosting services like YouTube, or if your animation is in flash or HTML5, you can use services like Newgrounds or DeviantART (you can also use DeviantART if your animation is an animated GIF/PNG). The Telltale Games forum used to host the official thread of the JAM, but since I now have enough bandwidth here to have a forum, the main JAM thread is here. But, since I owe a lot to the Telltale Games forum for making this a success for the past four years, I'll also be posting there and at my other haunt, the Double Fine forums. So, feel free to join in on the fun at any of these threads. :)

Like other challenges like it, you do not win anything for completing JAM. It is just for fun. You do, however, get the sense of accomplishment of finishing something, and you get the opportunity to improve your skills and share your art with the world!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:23 pm 
Site Admin

So, since I decided to join in on the One Game a Month challenge this year, my animations this year will be related to the game(s) I'm making. Here's the first one, for the main character in the opening credits of my first game, an adventure game created for ScummGen based on an obscure meme from The International House of Mojo:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:03 am 
Site Admin

Thanks to people at the Telltale forums that pointed out problems with my server, I've switched webhosts. I've been moving over my files and databases from one server to another. Everything should be working fine now, though I'm now quite behind now on my game because of it. I don't have anything to do today, so I'm going to work on doing all of the intro animations that I can, and then if I have time, programming the SCUMM logic for them.

I'll be sure to post everything I have done once that time comes. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:16 pm 
Site Admin

So, I got three more done today, which brings me up to four (which beats my previous low of 3 for JAM 2012). It seems like I win this challenge every other year. Hopefully I'll be able to keep that record going next year. :P

Here's my latest animations. Two of them, plus the janitor earlier are for games I'm making (or re-making) this year, the time flies animation is one that was once again suggested by my mom, she's invaluable in these challenges once I run out of ideas. :)

ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:04 pm 
Site Admin

January Animation Month season is here again. I'm working on my first animation of 2015 now, and I'll post it soon. Feel free to post your own if you want in the meantime. It's always great to have other people participating. :D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:01 pm 
Site Admin

My broken computer kept me from doing animations this year, but I'm going to try to get a good chunk of animations done before the end of the year.

I decided to finally do some animations for possible funny little cartoons to run over the credits of the Bad Golf Community Edition, as I described in this post on the issue tracker.

I just finished the first of these:

And the dancing gopher:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:17 pm 
Site Admin

I decided to use this year's January Animation Month to get my comic ideas realized, as they've been floating around in my head for ages. ;)